Discover sacred Kandy
Kandy is Sri Lanka’s second-largest city after Colombo. This beautiful, laidback capital is only 72 miles (115 kilometres) inland yet boasts exceptional cultural and historical attractions, set amidst forested hills.
Kandy is known as a pilgrimage destination for the Temple of the Tooth relic (a sacred tooth of the Buddha) and is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, as a sacred city, due to the importance of this temple. It is also known for the Kandy Esala Perahera, an important 10-day religious festival each August.
Lying at an altitude of 1 640 feet (500 metres) above sea level and surrounded by the Knuckles and Hunnasgiriya Mountain Ranges, the temperatures around Kandy are slightly cooler and conditions more pleasant than in the lowlands.
Combining two sensational, tropical destinations, Sri Lanka and the Maldives, you can indulge in the ultimate cultural site seeing journey followed by relaxation, romance and tranquillity at a serene paradise island. In Sri Lanka, your chauffeur guide will enable you to enjoy a fusion of history, wildlife, culture, and scenery. Sublime experiences will capture your imagination with attractions such as the Temple of the Sacred Tooth, the vibrant colour of Kandy, intricately carved palaces and towering fortresses. Glide above exquisitely scenic terrain on a hot air balloon, get up close and personal with giant rumpled Asian elephants, and meander through Sri Lanka’s Hill Country, with its lush tea plantations and cascading waterfalls. Your romantic getaway would not be complete without time spent on a pristine beach, where nature’s unparalleled beauty creates a mesmerising backdrop for your sublime pleasure. Home to perhaps the best beaches in the world, the Maldives unfolds whiter-than-white powder sand and luminous cyan-blue water. This romantic, intimate setting ensures a Maldives honeymoon unlike any other.
Day 1-2: Horathapola Estate
- Head to Horathapola Estate, a plantation bungalow hidden amidst the beautiful lush landscapes of rural Sri Lanka.
- Explore this fully functioning 50-acre organic coconut plantation, which dates back to the early 1900s.
- This is an ideal place to start your journey and relax and unwind before you set out to explore the rest of the island.
- Hop on a bicycle and go for a leisurely ride, passing temples, plantations and farmlands
- Stroll on a nature walk into the community to engage and interact with the friendly locals.
- Sit atop a bullock cart and traverse the lush expanse, and gain insight into how this organic plantation works.
- Visit the local ‘pola’, a bustling farmers-market selling delicious fresh produce.
- Explore an organic coconut oil manufacturing plant.
- If you are an avid birdwatcher, there is a diverse array of kaleidoscopic birdlife painting the sky above.
Day 2-4: Cultural Triangle
- Join the gathering and get close and personal with Asian elephants at Minneriya or Kaudulla National Park
- Look out for massive herds of over 250 elephants, as well as leopards, rusty-spotted cats and sloth bears roaming in the scrubby forest. Other large animals found here include jackal, spotted deer, tufted grey langur and toque macaque.
- Float above the picturesque countryside in a hot air balloon and uncover Sigiriya’s sublime palace and fortress complex.
- Early this morning engage in a glorious hot air balloon journey, featuring sweeping views of the Sri Lankan countryside.
- The balloon takes off from Sigiriya and traverses the cultural triangle where you can view the splendour of Lion Rock, the dense expanse of monsoon forests, and the stunning man-made reservoirs built in ancient times.
- Climb the Sigiriya Rock Fortress, an exquisite ancient palace and fortress complex and site of significant archaeological importance, and explore archaic paintings of the King’s maids in waiting at the fresco gallery and Mirror Wall
- Take in sensational views as well as exploring this fascinating ancient creation.
Day 5-6: Kandy
- Wander around the gardens of Rosyth Estate House, and observe the abundance of birdlife that inhabits leafy trees.
- Visit local schools and a village, interacting with the communities that the Rosyth Estate works closely with.
- An optional excursion is to visit a Tea Estate adjacent to the hotel and gain insight into how tea is grown and then transformed into a delicious brew.
- Meander through the Peradeniya Royal Botanical Gardens, and discover a vibrantly colourful montage of over 4 000 different species of plants and flowers
- Visit the Temple of the Sacred Relic Temple, the most revered site in Sri Lanka. While the tooth stays hidden within a gold casket, visitors and devotees always visit the temple during puja, the prayer session, just to glimpse the well-protected inner shrine where it is housed.
- Visit the loop of 3 Temples in Pilimatalawa located in the central highlands.
Day 7-10: Maldives
- Experience an island paradise in a charming tropical setting with soft white sand and azure waters
- The ultimate destination to unwind with a delicious cocktail whilst lounging in a hammock
- Explore the vivid coral reefs on excellent snorkelling and scuba diving excursions.
- The surrounding waters boast 10 to 12 different species of whales and dolphins, offering excellent viewing opportunities.
- Revel in your romantic idyllic beach adventure, surrounded by turquoise waters
- Relax with your loved one or friends and dive into an array of water sports from diving to snorkelling to a sunset cruise to surfing in the tranquil surrounds of the crystal clear lagoon.
- Unwind and discover a path of wellness at the spa with a range of treatments to soothe body and mind.
- Heighten your cultural knowledge and interact with them, stroll along the island streets with your guide, and delight in traditional snacks at a local café.
Day 11: Maldives
- After a leisurely delicious breakfast, you will be driven to Malé Airport for your international flight onwards.
Explore our fantastic array of Family packages with my world in style here.